Independent venues are the backbone of the live music scene. These are the stages that continue to give artists the early experience of playing live. For fans, these are places to get up close to artists that, one day, may well be playing stadiums. For the music industry, this is where new talent gets discovered and behind-the-scenes careers are fostered.
Independent Venue Week annually brings together venues all over the country, celebrating the spirit of independence with a nationwide series of venue-curated programming. It’s a unique live music event with a national impact, but a completely local feel — all to power American independents.
Originating in the UK, Independent Venue Week was brought to the United States in 2018. The 2022 iteration featured 400+ venues in 200+ cities across 50 states + Washington DC.
How does it work for Venues?
- Independent Venue Week is FREE for promoters and venues to participate in.
- The week is venue-curated and supported by a national campaign.
- Events featured must be ticketed and artists must be paid.
- Independent Venue Week will have an in-venue presence (physical or digital signage, staff t-shirts, etc.) at select shows
- Shows that Independent Venue Week features are to be listed as “part of Independent Venue Week” in programming.
- Read more in the Venue & Promoter 2023 Code of Conduct.